GLENVIEW – Ahead of the launch of the Pandemic Unemployment Assistance (PUA) program, State Senator Laura Fine (D-Glenview) is encouraging contract and gig economy workers to apply for and be denied regular unemployment benefits as soon as possible to speed up the claims process.
“The PUA program may be able to provide some relief to Illinoisans who aren’t eligible for regular state unemployment benefits,” said Fine. “If you’re one of these workers, you can get a jump on the claims process by applying and getting denied before the PUA program launches.”
If claimants apply for unemployment benefits through the Illinois Department of Employment Security (IDES) and receive an eligibility determination of $0, they can then submit a claim for PUA benefits. Claimants who have already applied for and been denied regular benefits can submit a claim through the new PUA portal when it opens.
PUA provides up to 39 weeks of federally funded unemployment benefits for individuals who are unemployed for specified COVID-19-related reasons and are not eligible for the state’s regular unemployment insurance program. Independent contractors and sole proprietors are newly eligible for benefits under this program.
PUA claims will be backdated to a claimant’s first week of unemployment, but no earlier than Feb. 2, 2020, and will continue for as long as the individual remains unemployed as a result of COVID-19, but no later than the week ending Dec. 26, 2020.
IDES is contracting with Deloitte to run the online PUA program. The department expects the program to launch Monday, May 11, 2020.
IDES processed over a million initial unemployment claims between March 1 and May 2, nearly 12 times the number of claims the department processed over the same period last year. The number of initial claims has slightly declined over the last two weeks, but the department expects to experience an increase when the PUA program launches.
“For many unemployed Illinoisans, these benefits can’t come soon enough,” said Fine. “If you think you may be eligible for benefits under the PUA program, I urge you to apply as soon as possible and get your information in the system to speed up the process.”
For more information and to apply, visit the IDES website.
GLENVIEW – A new, free-of-charge emotional support text line, Call4Calm, is now available for Illinois residents experiencing stress and mental health issues related to COVID-19, State Senator Laura Fine (D-Glenview) announced today.
“The COVID-19 outbreak has been an overwhelming time for many Illinoisans, and some feel like they are struggling alone,” said Fine. “I hope Call4Calm shows these people they are not alone— there is help.”
Illinois Department of Human Services’ Mental Health Division launched the hotline, which connects Illinoisans with the mental health services and other support systems they need.
Individuals who would like to speak with a mental health professional can text “TALK” to 552020 to connect with a counselor. The service is also available in Spanish by texting “HABLAR” to the same number.
Within 24 hours of sending a text to the hotline, residents will receive a call from a counselor at a local community health center. Call4Calm is free to use, and individuals will remain anonymous.
“If the COVID-19 outbreak has you feeling anxious or depressed, Call4Calm can connect you with local support,” said Fine. “A caring voice or a listening ear can make all the difference during times of stress.”
Individuals can also text 552020 with key words such as “unemployment,” “food” or “shelter” for help navigating state assistance services.
Fine’s office is closed during the Stay at Home Order, but her staff is continuing to work remotely to respond to calls and emails. She encourages those with questions and concerns to reach out by calling 847-998-1717 or visiting senatorfine.com/contact.
If you or someone you know is experiencing an urgent mental health crisis, call the National Suicide Prevention Hotline at 1 (800) 273-8255 or text HOME to 741741 to connect with a Crisis Text Line counselor. Both resources are available 24/7.
More information about COVID-19 can be found at coronavirus.illinois.gov.
GLENVIEW – To help Illinoisans manage their mental health from home during the COVID-19 outbreak, State Senator Laura Fine (D-Glenview) is sharing resources she hopes will offer support to those struggling.
“We talk a lot about hand washing, social distancing and other measures to protect physical health during this pandemic, but what about mental health?” said Fine. “We’re all experiencing added stress during this time. If you’re feeling overwhelmed, I urge you to reach out.”
The North Suburban Cook County chapter of the National Alliance on Mental Illness offers specialized resources for individuals who may need assistance. Residents are encouraged to call 847-716-2252 learn about local support groups and programs available during the COVID-19 crisis.
Senator Fine also encourages residents to take simple steps to care for themselves, such as:
“It’s important to continue to respect social distancing guidelines, but that doesn’t mean we have to be isolated,” said Fine. “Maintaining strong relationships with your friends and loved ones will help us all get through this challenging time.”
Fine’s office is closed during the Stay at Home Order, but her staff is continuing to work remotely to respond to calls and emails. She encourages those with questions and concerns to reach out by calling 847-998-1717 or visiting senatorfine.com/contact.
If you or someone you know is experiencing an urgent mental health crisis, call the National Suicide Prevention Hotline at 1 (800) 273-8255 or text HOME to 741741 to connect with a Crisis Text Line counselor. Both resources are available 24/7.
More information about COVID-19 can be found at coronavirus.illinois.gov.
SPRINGFIELD – Because the state’s Stay at Home Order can cause serious complications for those who experience or live in fear of domestic violence, State Senator Laura Fine (D-Glenview) urges Illinoisans to spread the word about a new $1.2 million plan to improve state resources for domestic violence and sexual assault survivors during the COVID-19 crisis.
“Asking Illinoisans to stay home may sound like a simple request, but for many people who experience or fear domestic violence, home isn’t a safe space. To make things worse, the COVID-19 outbreak may limit access to critical services,” said Fine. “We can’t forget about the health and safety of our survivors who may be in a dangerous situation during this time.”
The Illinois Department of Human Services (IDHS) announced April 2 that it will increase the capacity of its current statewide network of services for domestic violence and sexual assault survivors during the current COVID-19 pandemic.
Under this plan, the Domestic Violence Helpline will become a one-stop access point for shelter needs. Survivors may call the Helpline directly at 1-877-TO END DV (1-877-863-6338 voice or 1-877-863-6339 TTY) to be connected to shelter services. Survivors also may contact their local domestic violence programs for shelter assistance.
IDHS is also working with the Illinois Coalition Against Domestic Violence to establish an emergency fund to support local providers with needs related to COVID-19.
“If you feel threatened or at risk during this pandemic, please don’t wait—call the Illinois Domestic Violence Hotline at 1-877-863-6338 for help,” said Fine.
For more information about COVID-19 and COVID-19 relief services, visit coronavirus.illinois.gov.
Page 55 of 66